This month, The Gathering Place hosted Drew G. I. Hart, author of the book, Trouble I’ve Seen: Changing the Way the Church Views Racism. Drew presents a thicker understanding of racism for the Church to consider in this webinar, “Racialized Society and the Way of Jesus.”
Here are some additional resources to supplement learning on this topic:
- Host a book club and read/discuss, Trouble I’ve Seen: Changing the way the Church Views Racism by Drew G. I. Hart
- Consider taking your youth (or intergenerational) on a learning trip. Todd Allen runs the Civil Rights Bus tour, “Returning to the Roots of the Civil Rights Tour”. He has a FB page rather than a formal website where information is disseminated regarding information on his 2017 summer options.
- A priority named in Mennonite Church USA’s Purposeful Plan is “Undoing Racism.” This page highlights some resources available for congregations/individuals to use regarding this initiative. A video on undoing the Doctrine of Discovery can be found here.
- Older resources are also available about race analysis (white privilege, etc.) – MennoMedia, “Beyond the News: Racism” – http://www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/50/13989 and MCC’s “Free Indeed” – http://www.commonword.ca/ResourceView/18/7968.
- Teaching Tolerance, offers a variety of free film kits and education resources.
- Gather and watch “Hidden Figures” film in your local movie theatre and hold a post-movie discussion.